The New Me

I'm a working wife and mom-of-three to Xav and our twin girls -Yzzy and Zoey. We call them our "XYZ".

Thursday, January 26, 2012

On Stuffy Stuffy Nose!

It's a common problem of mine. Ever since time immemorial I've been suffering from allergies and rhinitis. I couldn't believe that it can still get worse! But yes, it's worse when you're pregnant. I had this problem during my first trimester, my OB recommended me to see a Pulmonologist because we have to make sure the baby is getting enough oxygen. To my nightmare, I was diagnosed with asthma. After 29 years of existence, I now have asthma!? They say it can be pregnancy-related asthma, so I'm hoping that it'll be gone after giving birth. So anyway, during my first trimester I was prescribed with a lot of inhalers to prevent the coughing and even antihistamines. All the symptoms surely went away. I had the best second trimester! 

Now, two weeks before my scheduled C-Section, the horror is back. It started with my usual nasal allergies but it's true that it tends to worsen later in pregnancy. It became like a viral infection or a common cold. The explanation is that higher amounts of estrogen during pregnancy can contribute to swelling in the mucous membranes lining the nose and even cause you to make more mucus.

Here's what I did to survive my ordeal: 

1. Took warm showers.

2. Changed and vacuumed all linens, curtains, carpets, rags at home. 

3. Used  saline nasal spray and Avamys (as prescribed my doctor). 

4. Drank a lot of hot water with calamansi (lime) and honey. This really helped ease my painful throat too.

5. Took 1 Claritin a day, Vitamin C 3x a day and Neozep 3x a day (all prescribed my doctor).

6. Ate a lot of fruits like guavas, oranges, watermelon etc.

7. Drank a loooot of water and fresh juices (Jamba Juice Coldbuster with extra boosts helped a lot.)

8. Rested for 2 days at home. 


On the third day, I'm up and about again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment