The New Me

I'm a working wife and mom-of-three to Xav and our twin girls -Yzzy and Zoey. We call them our "XYZ".

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

On Pregnancy-Related Superstitious Beliefs

Pregnant mommies, what do you feel when you receive unsolicited superstitious beliefs during pregnancy? Don’t get me wrong, I admit I’m not an expert on this pregnancy thing and I really appreciate other people giving me ideas on how things are going to be but sometimes you get tips or comments that are just senseless! Like what you eat in your first trimester will affect how your baby will look like, so you have to avoid eating dark fruits if you don’t want your baby to have dark skin. My yaya even told me that because I eat a lot of pineapples, my baby’s gonna cry a lot!

Here are more examples:

Eat limes so your baby will have smoother and rosy cheeks.
Don’t drink ice water or the baby will grow bigger.
Don’t take pictures to avoid radiation.
Always carry a garlic to avoid  bad spirits.
Always wear red. (I forgot why.)
Always watch feel-good movies and never watch stressful ones.
Talk to your baby so you’ll have an easy labor.
Don’t drive or you’ll have cord-knots!
If your tummy is pointed you’ll have a boy, if it’s round it’ll be a girl.
No sex for 6 months after a C-Section. – definitely/must-be a superstitious belief and this we’ll find out soon! Ha ha ha!


I don't believe in superstitious beliefs but yes, I did try to follow some of them. I’ve been very hopeful about getting pregnant so when others told me things that might help or avoid the risks of losing it, I obeyed-  but to a certain point of time only. Like when some people said that I should not announce my pregnancy to everyone yet (Facebook or something) during the first trimester, I tried to keep it for a while but then I was so eager to share my very good news to my friends that I announced it after my first gender ultrasound! Some people already knew about it but the things is, it felt really good to have so many people praying for your safe pregnancy. After all, we could use a lot of prayers and well wishes from our friends and relatives! I call them GOOD VIBES! I also thought that if things didn’t work-out in this pregnancy, why would I be ashamed of telling people about it, it’s not gonna be my fault, right? Thank God I’m still pregnant now!

The most important thing for me is to trust in the Lord. I was pessimistic about my pregnancy before, mainly because I don’t want to expect a lot and be disappointed after. When you experience miscarriage, you feel scared the second time around. There were things I thought I would or wouldn’t do. I was just hopeful, taking everything one day at a time. So I prayed a lot… really prayed my heart out every single day. I announced my pregnancy in FB, took a lot of pictures, ate everything I want, went to different places, watched all the movies I want, drive everyday and etc., because for me – “If it’s meant to be, it will be.”. Nash would always reassure me that God gave us a chance to be a wonderful parents, and no amount of superstitious beliefs can take that gift away from us. All we can do is to pray for the best.

I think it only takes 1 experience of delivering a baby to be considered an “expert” in pregnancy. There’s just too much to learn on your first. You ask a lot of people, you read books, you research on almost everything because the whole thing is new to you. Then on your second baby, you know almost everything especially on what to expect! I think that’s also the reason why mothers give their unsolicited advises. Maybe next time it’ll be my turn to share tips or whatnot! The first on my list would be: "Don't be stressed out about all the superstitious beliefs you hear, just ask your doctor and enjoy your pregnancy!"


No comments:

Post a Comment