The New Me

I'm a working wife and mom-of-three to Xav and our twin girls -Yzzy and Zoey. We call them our "XYZ".

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

On Feeding Baby Xav



I'm happy to say that right now I'm able to exclusively breastfeed my son. Thank you Lord for the gift of milk! I know all mothers would have wanted to give their babies BM but not everyone is gifted with the abundance of it. I myself went through formula feeding when I was hospitalized a week after giving birth and for me it was a painful experience not to breastfeed my son. Doctors recommended not to breastfeed while on antibiotics and it lasted for 2 weeks. Then after my medication, I started mixing formula (NAN HA) and my BM until I successfully eliminate the formula milk in 2 weeks time.


So now here's my daily routine on feeding my baby. 


During the day, I breastfeed my son, no bottles. I can still do this because I'm still on Maternity Leave. When he cries, I offer my breasts for feeding. Crying, as experts say, is a late sign of hunger. In my case, I always try to wake baby Xav up for feeding every 2 hours but when he sleeps- he REALLY sleeps. Mana talaga kay Daddy nya! So I just wait for him to feel hungry again... and cry. Then when he sleeps longer (like 4 hours), I have an opportunity to express my extra milk (because I express my BM every 2 hours) and keep it for future feedings. I need to store as many BM as I can so when I go back to work my baby will have an ample supply of milk. This is during the day, like 6AM-10PM.


During the night, I feed him with my breasts until he sleeps at around 10-11PM (depends on his schedule and if I'm sleepy already). When he is already asleep I will get a frozen BM out from the freezer and place it inside the bedroom, so in time for his next feeding the expressed BM will be completely thawed and ready for bottle feeding. Sometimes I just place my expressed BM inside the refrigerator and not in the freezer. This is okay too as long as you consume it within 7-8 days. I also make it a habit to smell the BM before feeding Xav to be sure that I'm not giving him spoiled milk.


So during the day he feeds from my breasts then during the wee hours he uses bottles for feeding. For me it's more efficient especially at night because he drinks faster in bottles and comes back to sleeping right away. Then I express my milk while hubby is feeding him in bottle to replace the one we thawed. This gives us only 30mins. (every 2-3 hours) of being awake - that's feeding + expressing BM + burping + changing diaper + putting him back to sleep. Of course this is only possible if your baby doesn't have "nipple confusion".  


I found a site that gives complete info on proper storage and handling of BM. I found it very helpful especially for first time mothers like me!


STORAGE AND HANDLING OF BREASTMILK

No comments:

Post a Comment