The New Me

I'm a working wife and mom-of-three to Xav and our twin girls -Yzzy and Zoey. We call them our "XYZ".

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Help! A sudden drop of milk supply!

I just started working again yesterday and I suddenly had low milk supply! I would normally get 6-8oz. every 2-3 hours but yesterday I only got 3oz. every 3 hours! Crazy!!! Maybe it's because that my baby has been sleeping through the night now. He sleeps up to 6 hours and it makes me not pump every 3 hours. Also, I have been reading factors that contribute to having a low milk supply and it seems that being away from your baby also play a big part. You have to keep your baby close, day and night, and nursing often is the best way to increase your supply. Unfortunately, mummy has to go back to work. My 78 days Maternity Leave is over! 

Now I'm consistently pumping every 2 hours to increase my milk and I started drinking Natalac / Malunggay supplement 3 times a day. I even asked my mom to cook Tinola for me two days in a row now. Hoping for a better result ASAP. If you have any other ideas, please share. Did someone also experienced this problem?

2 comments:

  1. I had the same issue when I went back to work with both kids. One thing that works for many is to have a picture of the baby with you while you are pumping. In fact, if I remember correctly, the Eagan lactation room had a bulletin board where people kept their babies' pictures so they could access them easily when pumping. Good luck! It is a hard transition but you can do it! :)
    -Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, a picture is helpful, as well as being able to really relax when pumping. It's such a mental exercise, that music or a video of baby can help you relax and produce more. Some other home remedies - eat oatmeal, and take fenugreek supplements. I've been taking fenugreek, and it's led to a significant boost in supply! Congrats on Xav sleeping through the night! I can't say the same for Olivia. : ) - Alissa

    ReplyDelete