The New Me

I'm a working wife and mom-of-three to Xav and our twin girls -Yzzy and Zoey. We call them our "XYZ".

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Should I get a CCTV?

After giving birth to Xavier and going back to work from my maternity leave I have always wanted a CCTV. For three years I avoided buying one because- 1. it's expensive, 2. I want to show I trust my helpers and 3. we are only renting out the place (installation can be hassle). Until one day, I found out one of my yayas stole a diamond necklace from me. I could not risk my kids not being safe in my own house. I just can't be too "trusting" this time. I learned my lesson. That day, I started scouting for CCTVs. 

I got mine at Ace Hardware. Starting price is P13,789.50 for two cameras. Sure there might be cheaper brands out there but I needed to buy ASAP and if possible be installed the same day of purchase plus they offered 12-months installment plan with 0% interest. I couldn't believe why I didn't buy one before. I think that if you and your spouse goes to work every day and the kids are always left with just the nannies, it would help to have a CCTV at home.

I'm happy with Rover Systems.  If you want to purchase from them directly you can go to Home Depot stores. You can also choose cameras and HDR to bundle them. 







I'm not a techy person but I do have a set of important questions to consider should you decide to get a CCTV.

1. Purpose

Why do you need it in the first place? For me, it is a priority to see how the yayas treat my kids. I can also monitor if the yayas follow my routines, at the same time reduce loss of valuables at home. It's important to be clear on its purpose. 


2. Budget

How much can you afford? How many cameras do you really need? What areas do you want to cover? Where do your kids stay during the day? Where do you put your valuables? I know it can be cool to have all areas at home with cameras but IF you have to be frugal a bit choose the locations wisely. Skip the maid's room, give your yayas some privacy too.

If you will use the cameras for business then you might need a clearer lens for better facial identification. That can be expensive too. 

By the way I forgot to mention that installation has a price too! I have asked around and they seem to give me the same amount - lowest is P1,500 per camera. Unless you can unleash the handy-man in you! 


3. Monitoring

Is remote monitoring possible? Can you use your mobile phone to do that? Do you need high speed internet at home and where you want to remotely monitor the cameras? 


4. Recording 

Reality is that we cannot sit in front of the TV (or smartphones) and watch them 24/7. What is your capacity to record? How long will the recorded videos be kept before it is deleted on its own (overwriting). It would be great to have the DVR capability to store 4 weeks of recorded footage. In this way you can back up the date and review to investigate issues. 


5. User-friendliness

Are you the only person who will need to access the system?  How user-friendly will it need to be? As easy a possible! Better if your kids could manage it too! Why on Earth you want something so complicated? 


Remember that CCTV won't always give you a conviction - example most thieves are too smart to allow you to take a picture of their faces. But if the CCTV is well-monitored, it will allow you to increase the likelihood of either capture thieves, or reduce loss or being at home as quickly as possible. 

For me, it kinda gave me some sense of security. I'm guilty of watching them from the office every hour. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment